Thursday, January 22, 2009

PRIVACY - A thing of the past!

I guess that when you become a Mom that privacy is a thing of the past. I can't even remember the last time I was able to use the restroom without having a certain someone join me. Yep, I think every time I turn around Cameron is running after me into the bathroom and it doesn't matter how fast I run because he always catches up to me. There are times I don't mind the company, but seriously there are other times when I just wish it was me in the bathroom. Today he was watching Blue's Clues and I tip toed around the corner and into the restroom and was able to actually pee in private, but do you think I would be able to wipe in private?!? Uh, NO!! If he isn't in there asking me what I am doing then he is under the sink going through the box of tampons, panty liners and throwing everything that will fit into the trash can into the trash. Yep, even if it doesn't need to be going into the trash. So, once I am done using the restroom.... I have to dig all the stuff out of the trash can, put the tampons & panty liners back into the box and hurry up and shut the door before he goes for round two. He was telling me today that the wrapper for one tampon was purple and that another had green on it and well I guess we must go into the bathroom for a quick class on colors. It is funny because every time my husband has to use the restroom, I am sure to tell Cameron that Daddy is going potty, but would you think that he follows?!? Ah, nope. He must only follow me into the restroom and interrupt my potty time. Hmmm, you wonder why that is? I have tried locking him out of the bathroom, but then I have to use the restroom to the wonderful sounds of banging on the door, crying and fingers popping through the bottom of the door. I guess he just has me so far wrapped around his fingers that I can't stand to hear the screaming and crying and then I let him in.
So, did I tell you all about his recent thing that he is doing? Just this week we have been putting him to bed and he has not been having it AT ALL. He screams bloody murder, this scream is literally blood curdling. If you didn't know that there was no one in his room then you would think that someone was hurting him. The first couple nights...... Shawn and I would take turns and go get him because we just couldn't stand it anymore, but it has been 2 nights in a row where we haven't gone to get him and well it literally kills me. Oh, it is a scream that you wouldn't ever forget. It is just awful. So, I am hoping and praying that he doesn't do it again tonight because I am just not sure I can take much more of it. I would probably end up going up after him. So, do any of you wonderful Mommies have any ideas on what to do or how I can help him be a bit more calm at night? I am up for anything when it comes to helping soothe him a bit.....and me (lol). I am sure it is just the terrible two's stage, but there has to be something I can do to help him want to go to bed. I just hate hearing him cry..... it breaks my heart!!


8 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

At least he doesn't try to stick toilet paper in the toilet while your sitting on it. Lukas gets toilet paper blows his nose and tries to stick it down the toilet whily I am on the potty. Sometimes he even tries to wipe me. It is frustrating. Lukas has never been to get at going to bed we had to let him cry it out go in every few minutes and let him know we were there since he was like five months old. It is hard but it was worth it.

Lyndsay said...

I know Owen started screaming out the blue a while back and we ended up putting a night light in his room and that solved everything. Does he like to sleep with any stuffed animals. Maybe he just needs some company.

He & Me + 3 said...

Yep, that sounds like my bathroom breaks...always with someone else. If I lock the door, they pick the lock to get to me. What is that all about? LOL
No suggestions for bedtime...my kids were difficult to get to bed. It is a phase, but try and be consistant...maybe rock him or lay with him for a few minutes. Worst case...put him to bed watching a DVD. I know...I said it. Last resort until he gets through this phase. :) Best of luck!

Stacey said...

Aw Lisa, I wish I had some ideas to help you out with Cameron and bedtime, it looks like the other ladies have given you some great suggestions to use. I am sure that it is just a phase and hopefully it will be over soon. Maybe if he sees that it is not going to get the attention that he wants it to then he will quit.

The funny things kids do. They can be such curious little things. This may be a phase too?

We'll be praying for you all. :)

Love and hugs,
Stacey :)

Kelly said...

I don't get to go to the restroom alone either, but P does. (go figure)
the bedtime...it is a phase. once he knows you are not coming ater him, he will stop the crying.
I know rasier said then done. ;)

Angelwingsbaby said...

I am sure that it will pass eventually,I used to be a daycare provider 2nd shift and a foster parent along with having my two boys and I picked up a few tricks along the way. One thing to try is sticking those glow in the dark stars or planets on his ceiling so that after you put him to bed he has something to gaze at while he tries to drift off this worked well with a foster son once.(just be sure to leave his light on for a while to charge them up so they will last until he falls asleep) Also some toddlers do well with music set on a timer.My 5 year still has a pooh that is for the crib that it has a small light and plays lullabies(shuts of by itself) that he has had since he was a newborn that I have up on a shelf now, he asks me to push the button every night when I walk out of his room.Same thing for the last 5 years if I forget he reminds me.Best $20.00 I ever spent.It even came with a remote.I think they still make a newer version of it.I even bought a used spare one thinking this one would die but it hasn't yet.One more thing to consider is I had a foster child once that did really well with white noise,once she had a fan running in her room then there were no more troubles even in the winter I just pointed it away from her.See if any of those work if not I will think back to some more.((Hugs))

Stacy said...

Let me just tell you it doesn't get any better..lol. My kids are 10,8 and 5 and everytime I got to the bathroom they always seem to need me. So they are standing outside the door asking questions!

Please can't mama have a minute? And they do not do that to my hubby either!!! Oh the joys of motherhood!

The Dorns said...

I think the key to bedtime is to keep the same routine. Tell him we are going to take a bath now. Remind him we are going to brush your teeth next. While brushing we are going to read books next then its time to go to sleep. Keep the same ritual do something silly like one kiss for your forehead one kiss for each cheek and one kiss on your tummy now its time to go to sleep. Say I love you and i'll see you in the morning and leave.

The screaming may not stop right away but he will do less and less of it before he wont do it anymore. Just stick to a routine that works for your family. If its you he particular wants then let him sleep with a picture of you to hold till he can see you in the morning.